An easy mistake many people make is throwing the skin of onion away. Many people do such mistake when using the vegetable. However, it is shown through research that onion skin contains high antioxidants, which is very beneficial for human health.
About Onion Skin
It is well established that the outer layer of onion is rich. It is loaded with flavonoids, fiber and high consentration of antioxidants. All are very benefitial to health. Through these following process, one can benefit from the high value of onions skin.
The skin is made of higher concentration of antioxidants than onion
It contains quercetin, a plant pigment. This plant pigment-quercetin, is very effective in reducing hypertension. It also stops arteries from clogging. Properties such as anti cancer, anti oxidants, anti fungal and anti bacteria elements are found in onion skin
Benefits of diet made from skin
Work against Colon Cancer
Reduces Intestinal problems
Used to prevent Diabetes-type 2
It helps the heart avoid Cardiovascular illness
PREPARATION OF THE TEA
• It is a powerful detoxification drink which is very easy to do.
• Onion skin is brewed, strained and the infusion is taken regularly, daily.
• Collect the skin, put it in a glass jar.
• Take a few pieces as when needed, and cover with boiling water.
• Steep for fifteen minutes and strain the liquid.
• This should be taken before going to bed. Quercetin have sedative effects, thus the best time to take the tea is while going to bed.
The Skin is used in making soups and stews
• It can be used in soups and stew as a base. Such can also be added to your homemade chilli recipe recipe. Quercetin, which is the major ingredient found in skin of the onion is a strong flavonoid. It is an an antioxidant that has cancer fighting benefits. It is a known fact that quercetin levels are highest within and also towards the skin of onions.
• High in Dietary Fiber through studies
Through research, onion skin is useful to any diet because it contains high level of insoluble fiber. This is great for normal bowel movements. Insoluble fiber plays crucial role in eliminating toxic waste from the colon. This blocks the formation of cancerous cells. Health benefits of fiber include reducing the risk of colon cancer, cardiovascular diseases, obesity, and diabetes.
• NB: Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not consume it in any form.